I can’t see into the future. My vision, even with glasses, is lousy. So, it’s a good bet that what I would like to see happen in the coming year won’t. But, for what it’s worth, here’s my list anyway….
- I would like to see an end to the 24-hour news cycle.
- I would like to see pundits and hosts and correspondents and other news personnel stop qualifying their commentary with “sort of” and “kind of.” Nothing diminishes a statement’s authority more than this.
- I would also like to see dignity and gravitas return to news reporting. The cackling and snark are unprofessional, as is the unmitigated glee over misconduct and criminal behavior. Moving on….
- I would like people to stop saying, “Keep me informed,” when a friend says they are having a hard time, whatever the cause. A friend in trouble has enough to do. They don’t need to be further burdened by having to give status reports.
- I would like professionals who don’t know me to stop calling me by my first name, while simultaneously introducing themselves by their title. IT. IS. RUDE. If they want to be addressed by their title, they should show me the same courtesy they want me to show them.
- I would like all filmmakers to declare a moratorium on graphic depictions of people vomiting, etal. There’s a reason there are doors on bathrooms. Enough already.
- I would like to see robust music education programs back in every school. Maybe then composers can include tri-tones in songs again.
- And, I wish someone would invent a remote control that would instantly and irrevocably switch off bigotry…
But, of course, there’s little likelihood of that.
So, all I can do is wish that wherever you are, wherever you find yourselves in 2020, you will be blessed with a compassionate, temperate, and generous spirit, and all the respect, kindness, and support you need to see you through your good times, and your challenges.
©2019 All Rights Reserved